The problem with many screen capture tools is that, while they can often be customised to switch between capturing in full screen, windowed or custom modes, it can be awkward to continually configure them as required. This is an issue that SnagIt addresses by offering eleven preset capture modes that can be activated with simple keyboard combinations. The program can be used to capture anything you see on screen - and in the case of the option to capture entire web pages, even things you can't see - and the captures are automatically stored in the program interface ready for further editing or converting to various image formats.
Image editing options are basic, but more than enough to cater for basic screenshot editing. From cropping and scaling to adding text and drop shadows, all of the tools you could need are close to hand. If you frequently perform the same actions with your screen captures - such as resizing them to particular dimensions, adding the same text label and saving them in a specific format - this can be saved as a keyboard shortcut for easy access.
Captures can be shared with others by posting them directly to Flickr, your blog or sending them via instant message or email. The fact that captures are automatically saved means that there is no need to remember to do so manually, but if you do want to help to keep things organised, detailed tagging options are available. For those difficult to capture moments, a timer can be configured to give you time to ensure that onscreen furniture is correctly positioned before a screenshot is taken for you.
This is an incredibly versatile tool that can be completely customised to suit your needs. It can be made as simple or as complicated as you need it to be, and for this it is to be applauded.
What's new in v2019.1.0 (see the full changelog for more info)?
- Added integration with Windows Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch utilities.
- All in-app messages now respect the banner setting in Preferences.
- Stamps now searchable with German and French terms.
- Added some British and Australian search terms to the English version.
- Combine Images window now remembers settings.
- Captions are now wide enough on a combined image of varying sized images.
- Smart Move reset button now triggers a recalculation.
- Callout Text is now saved to file immediately after typing.
- Checking for updates now more reliable when multiple versions of Snagit installed.
- Resolved spelling and capitalization errors in German and French onboarding.
- Resolved unnecessary warning when opening Snagit 2019 captures in Snagit 2018.
- Resolved Simplify alignment buttons not working in floating properties.
- Resolved canceling out of Smart Move processing dialog leaves Smart Move in a bad state.
- Resolved blank tray thumbnails in German and French versions.
- Resolved issue where Auto Simplifying an image would never finish on 32-bit systems.
- Numerous other bug and security fixes, localization updates, and performance improvements.