MadVR is a powerful, configurable DirectShow video renderer, designed to deliver the best possible video playback quality.
The package's 32-bit processing and high-quality scaling and sharpening algorithms ensure great results, even at high resolutions and frame rates.
This only works with compatible media players. As we write, this is the official list:
· DVB Dream
· Emby Theater
· JRiver MediaCenter
· Kodi DSPlayer
· Zoom Player
Setup takes a little work. You'll need to download madVR and unzip it somewhere safe (you can't delete the folder later); run Install.bat as an administrator; run madHcCtrl.exe to access your settings; and choose madVR as the video renderer in your media player (in MPC-HC, View > Options > Playback > Output > DirectShow Video).
But once that's out of the way, madVR will be used for all playback, and you can start trying out its various processing, scaling and rendering options.
Version 0.92.15 brings (Changelog)
* HDR: improved overall tone mapping quality
* HDR: added "color tweaks for fire & explosions" option
* HDR: "restore details in compressed highlights" renamed to "highlight recovery"
* HDR: improved "highlight recovery" algo, now uses/requires DirectCompute
* HDR: added trade quality option "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy"
* HDR: maxCLL is now used (if valid)
* HDR: added "hdrVideoPeak" profile variable
* HDR: added (limited) support for HDR OSD bitmaps
* added "report BT.2020 to display" calibration option
* added true GPU mode info (color format, bitdepth & dynamic range) to OSD (Nvidia only)
* fixed: low latency mode could result in judder/stuttering
* fixed: OSD API sometimes drew stuff in the wrong position
* fixed: madHcNet32/64.dll produced DCI-P3 3DLUTs with incorrect header
* added undocumented "ShowHdrMode" empty file/folder option