OSFMount is a unusually powerful tool for mounting disk images in Windows with a drive letter.
If you've downloaded an ISO file, for instance, this means you don't have to burn it to a blank disc to browse its contents. Just use OSFMount and it'll appear in Windows as a new drive, so you can view the image in Explorer and extract whatever files you might need.
OSFMount doesn't just support ISO files, though. Other formats it can mount include IMG, DD, BIN, 00n, NRG, SDI, AFF, AFM, AFD, and even VMWare's VMDK.
And that's not all. The program can also create a RAM disk, so for instance you could allocate 1GB to a new virtual drive V:. This may help with performance of some programs, as RAM disks are extremely fast. It also has privacy advantages (tell a browser to store its internet history there and it'll disappear when you reboot). And you can even use OSFMount to save the contents of your disk in a variety of image formats, including ISO, BIN, IMG and DD.
Version 2.0.1001 changes:
- Compiled with Visual Studio 2017 and Driver Built using WinDDK 10. Consequence of this is that the minimum OS required is now Windows 7 SP1 and we are longer supporting older operating systems XP & Vista.
- Dramatic speed improvements for blank RAM disks. Speed improvements are a result of,
- New compiler with better code optimization
- Forcing the RAM drive to be held in physical RAM (if free space is available on initial mounting). So no swapping to disk. Making it more important than ever to make sure you have sufficient free RAM available.
- Rewrite of the device driver code to remove overheads in the handling of I/O request packets (IRPs), which read and write data from the RAM drive.
- At the time of this release, we believe this is the fastest RAM drive software available. Some examples of the speed increases compared to the previous release are 290% faster for 4K IOPS reads and 57% faster linear reads.
- Updated EWF library to libewf-20160424